Sunday, August 29, 2010

Welcome to Brussels

August 29, 2010


I have arrived in Brussels, Belgium without any delays along the way. My flight over was amazing. I was asleep before the plane took off from Seattle, WA and woke up shortly before landing in New York. I guess it pays to only have a few hours of restless sleep the night before. I had a 3 hour layover, and seriously thought about hopping a train to the city, but decided against it. So I took a seat next to a window and started reading some literature, you know the good stuff, Us Weekly, People, Glamour, when a lady about my age sat next to me. We started chit chatting and about where we were headed and why, turns out she was going to travel around Europe by herself. She had planned a trip like this every year for 5 straight years with an ex husband, friends, when something always came up on their ends forcing her to not go. A few years ago, she read a little book you may have heard of, called Eat, Pray, Love. Way before the movie came out she decided that she was going to take this trip by herself. She reminded me of my dear friend Katie, and people like that inspire me, and still inspire me to get out and see the world. If they can do it, I CAN DO IT!

Anyways, I flew Jet Airways India, and I can’t rave enough about this airline. So, when you all come to visit me, look into this airline. WOW, is all I can say, talk about Luxury, even for the coach folks. That airline is first class all the way! I was so busy in my seat I didn’t have a chance to sleep at all on the 8 hour flight. Each seat had its own television, which had over 100 movies, music, games, history, sports, news, anything you could want to keep yourself occupied, was right there. It even had a function to IM another guest in the airplane, so Kim, the gal I met chit chatted more during our flight. Simply the best experience I’ve ever had on a plane, with one exception of flying first class to Mexico with my best friend.

I arrived in Brussels, Belgium a half hour early, and cruised right on thru customs to baggage claim. After getting 2 suitcases, and waiting for a 3rd, I saw my name being waived around on placard; it was my driver looking for me. He helped me with my HEAVY luggage and whisked me off to my hotel Novotel, which incidentally in the middle of Brussels city center. Check in was a breeze and after wrestling with my suitcases, I made it to my room. After a hot shower I decided to take a little nap before I went out exploring. My little nap turned out to be a 10 hour nap. Ooops. So much for getting out and exploring, which was okay, since everything is pretty much closed down on Sundays.

I was up this morning at about 330 bright eyed and ready to see the world, however it was still very dark outside. I waited till about 530 and decided to take a walk around. These are the very first photos I have taken since being here, more will come.

The hotel I am staying in has a buffet breakfast every morning and boy oh boy, it’s delicious! I forgot how wonderful the food is here, this time around is a bit different though, being I can only take a bite of each delicious thing before I am full. I had memories of when I was 16 years old, in the Czech Republic, flying back to me, when I took a bite of fresh French bread with brie cheese spread, a fresh tomato and crisp cucumber piled on top, I knew I was in Europe. It’s Good to be here. I am truly blessed with this opportunity, and can’t wait to share all my experiences and thoughts with you guys. Well, I am off to meet with my new people at the office.

Some random observations:

Europeans don’t wear flip flops, sure they wear sandals, but not your typical flip flop. Umbrellas to Europeans are like small dogs to American’s, you carry them EVERYWHERE.

I know I will have more, so stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, I am SO EXCITED to be invited to 'journey' with you to Europe! I can't wait to read all about life there, the adventures you will have, and feel particularly blessed with this opportunity to stay in touch with you and get to learn more about who you are now.

    I definitely want to come out and see you at some point. I have oodles of airline miles and will be in a place where I can travel by next summer. I am thinking that tomato festival near Valencia Spain next August.....what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee,
    Any chance to get to Spain, and to top it off, see you? Im totally there! I am excited to see who I become on this journey as well.

    ReplyDelete