Thursday, October 21, 2010

Who Say's You Can't go Home?

Wow, how things can change in a matter of days. Well, as most know by now, I have resigned from the position I accepted in Bonn Germany. Without going into details, as they are not important at this point, I will say that I am not willing to lie down and be a doormat. I am deeply hurt by this, as I was looking forward to living and working in Europe.  But at the end of the day, you have to be happy right?  You have to do what is right, no matter what anyone else thinks.  I know there are several people who think I am foolish, a complete idiot, and perhaps don’t agree with my choices. My comment to them is to let me live my life, and you live yours. I don’t always make the choices others would have made, and sometimes that leads me the long way around, and sometimes I get lucky and find a short cut. But at the end of the day, it’s my life, and I stand by my decisions.

My adventure surely doesn’t end in Europe. It’s just beginning, just down a different path. I have had a wonderful 52 days of living, working, and touring around Europe. I have had the pleasure of visiting the Following countries: Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, France, England and Scotland. I’ve been able to bring back so many memories from each of these places, and truly loved each country for different reasons.

I discovered a lot about myself in each of those places, the good the bad, even the really ugly parts of myself. I’ve laughed, I’ve cried, and I have been really angry and confused, but I’ve learned how to adapt, let go and move on. Its funny how being angry is easier than letting it go. I’ve always felt that if I let something go, I was giving in, and as stubborn as I am, I couldn’t ever give in. I think it’s a family trait I have inherited as us Koop’s are quite stubborn people. 

I’ve also met a friend along the way. Someone who accepts me just the way I am, stubborn, moody, bossy, and at times a serious bitch. Sometimes I don’t understand why he sticks around, but he does, and I am very grateful for him. He has definitely taught me, or more so made me learn about patience and slowing down a bit. I was able to meet his family on my trip, and think they are a wonderful bunch of people. I was nervous, and a bit apprehensive, but it was long overdue. Meeting someone’s family, gives you a better insight to someone I think. I can honestly say, the little things that I didn’t understand before, are a little clearer now, and that is very good.

I am in Seattle now, back to work and trying to wrap my head around living in Seattle again. I am on the hunt looking for a place to live, a car, and a new way of life. I told myself, if I came back to Seattle, things would be different, as I am different. I know 52 days isn’t very long, but I’ve changed since I left, and even though, I am back to my old job, and city, I don’t have to go backwards in my life. I have already made some changes, and will continue doing so.

So even though, my living abroad came to an abrupt end, my adventure doesn’t end there. Stay tuned, as I will continue to write, it just may be about different things.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo!

    Way to be true to your heart! It is the clearest voice we have, if we listen.

    Congratulations on your growth, your journey, and this next phase.

    <3!
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete