Sunday, April 3, 2011

Traditional Food



I recently visited Scotland and had the opportunity to try some traditional English/Scottish food. I love food, and enjoy trying new things. However I was a little hesitant to try the following items.

·         Black pudding, also known as blood sausage, is a pudding made of curdled and boiled pig blood, mixed with chunks of pork fat for texture.

·         Haggis -  is a dish containing sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally simmered in the animal's stomach.

Interestingly enough, Haggis is has been declared “unfit for human consumption” by the USDA and is outlawed in the USA.

Of the two dishes, I actually not only preferred, but enjoyed and finished the Haggis. Now that I know it’s outlawed in the US, I may refrain from ordering it next time or rebel and order an extra helping.

I was hesitant to try this food, but Norman encouraged me to try it, and I’m glad that I did.

“that boy's head is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Now that was offside, wasn't it? He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow”   Name the movie.

1 comment: