Wednesday, January 18, 2012

In Dog I Trust!

About eight years ago I called on an ad for a Rottweiler puppy.  Without meeting her or even seeing a photo I spent a lot of money on a spur of the moment birthday present for myself. There are things in life if you could do over knowing what you know now, you’d do different.  If I knew then, what I know now, I would pay thousands if not millions for that little puppy again and again.
Nikoya has not only become the best friend anyone could ask for, she is loyal, funny, entertaining, and is one of the smartest dogs I have EVER encountered. I constantly get praised for training her, but in all honesty – It’s all her. I’m no dog trainer, whisperer, expert – I’m just her dog mom.  She makes me look good.
Yesterday we got news that she has diabetes and while this instantly brought tears to my eyes thinking about not having her in my life anymore, I’ve come to see that dogs/cats can live with diabetes just as humans do for the rest of their lives. With the right food combinations, exercise and medication she shouldn’t have to worry about it. I on the other hand will and am very thankful that for now, nothing else is wrong that can’t be treated.  
Yesterday I stopped feeding her store bought treats and made her some good for her health nummy nummies! Depending on the next few weeks, I may even start making her dinner every night. Because to me she’s worth every extra cent I may have to spend on her.



 
This dog is my heart and she melts it every times she looks at with her curious non judgmental eyes.

1 comment:

  1. I love you Nikoya!

    Just because you know how to play dead doesn't mean you're actually allowed to ever go anywhere.

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete